EASTCONN Transition Academy
EASTCONN TRANSITION ACADEMY (ETA) - formerly known as Regional Transition Services (RTS) - is now located in Windham's Tyler Square!
ETA serves students ages 18 through 22 with a variety of learning, behavioral, and social-emotional needs. ETA is committed to the practices found across all of our specialized programs, including explicit instruction; data-based decision-making; team collaboration; and universal, proactive approaches.
Vision of ETA
- Support students and their families as they transition from K-12 schooling to adulthood, including post-secondary education and adult learning.
- Use student-centered planning to maximize independence, voice, and choice.
- Prepare students to participate in activities of daily living and access their communities and career opportunities as independently as possible.
Core features of our individualized, student-centered approach to transition instruction include:
- Central location with access to a variety of community resources including public transportation, banks, grocery stores, shopping centers, and fitness centers
- Support for families to access community-based resources and partner with adult service agencies
- Opportunities to take college classes on local campuses (as appropriate)
- Career exploration to help students find job opportunities aligned with their interests and strengths
- Access to a variety of job placements in the community with support and coaching from ETA staff
- Development of job readiness skills through explicit instruction and coaching to develop and strengthen our students’ ability to obtain and maintain employment
Self Determination and Interpersonal Skills Instruction:
- Specialized instruction in functional skills matched to student need
- Areas of instruction, including health and safety, home living and chores, personal finance, social skills, transportation, and self-advocacy
- Dedicated classroom space to learn functional skills in structured settings including an on-site kitchen and laundry space
- Opportunities to apply skills learned in the classroom to community settings
The ETA Team:
Members of the ETA staff work collaboratively to support students in educational, community and employment settings. ETA staff work together with districts and families to provide quality transition services. Members of the ETA team include:
- Special education teachers
- Special education instructors and instructional assistants
- Vocational job coordinators
- Related service providers
- Board Certified Behavior Analyst (BCBA) support
- Clinical support
EASTCONN Transition Academy 2023-2024 Calendar